13 Ways to Save Time and Cost by Using Machine-Ready Blanks
Here are a baker’s dozen benefits that can be gained by using pre-cut blanks in machine shops:
- The in-house preparation of raw material is eliminated.
- Machine-ready blanks do not need to be squared like sawed blanks.
- Dimensional, flatness, parallelism, and squareness tolerances can be guaranteed by the supplier.
- Secondary operations and fixtures are not needed.
- End mill taper issues are eliminated.
- Labor requirements are reduced substantially.
- With the elimination of prep time, set-up time can be minimized.
- Machine-ready blanks can be loaded directly into the CNC machine.
- Machining cycle times can be reduced.
- Machine-ready blanks can be ground and/or milled two sides at a time versus typical inhouse milling operation of one side at a time.
- Operator and machine throughput levels and operational efficiencies can be increased.
- The reduction of set-up and cycle times free operators and machines for more production without requiring an increase in labor or more machines.
- Overall part costs are reduced by 15 percent or more.